Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Facing what you Fear the Most…

 

I literally came face to face with my greatest fear yesterday afternoon. Even thinking about takes my tension level through the roof. I don’t even know if there are strong enough words to convey how intense my phobia is.

fear
Ally M. via pinterest from www.saatchionline.com

Some of you might sigh or smirk, but to me its real, its scary, and it’s a reality of living in Texas!

I’ve been here in Texas, a little over 10 months. Up until yesterday, no problem. I honestly thought that I wouldn’t ever have to deal with my phobia since we live in the middle of our little city. Poor naive, blonde me!

I’d been running around all afternoon doing errands and getting groceries. I was happy to be headed home. I had things to do, groceries to put away and dinner to get started. Like usual I hit the garage opener button just before I pulled in the driveway, I pulled in the driveway and noticed something hanging from the end of the open door. I thought it was the weather stripping… its been a little “iffy” lately and is on the repair list. Then the “weather stripping” started to move!!!!!

That’s when I realized it was NOT weather stripping it was a SNAKE!

I can’t even begin to explain the fear that instantly filled every part of me. Even thinking about it now makes my stomach roll and tension take over my body. I am scared to death of snakes. Its so bad I can’t even touch pictures in books. I make my husband change the channel if the show/commercial has anything to do with snakes. Where I grew up there was only a remote chance to running into anything that slithered, and even that was pretty much only if you were out hiking or camping. And even then they weren’t poisonous.

<br />I must not fear.Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.I will face my fear.I will permit it to pass over me and through me.And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.Only I will remain.<br />The Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear<br />
via Tumblr

I frantically lowered the garage door back down, trying to get the snake to leave… it headed into the garage! Another wave of pure fear… There was no way I was getting out of that truck or pulling into that garage. I had only one option. Tearfully I called my sleeping husband.

“Babe? I know you’re sleeping… but there’s a SNAKE in the Garaggggggeeeeee!” I was pretty much hysterical.

My incredible husband threw on some clothes and valiantly tackled that dragon... I mean... snake. Those were some intense moments for me. I was faced with the only fear that trumps snakes in my mind… and that’s having something happen to/losing my husband.

Literally the only words that poured out of my mouth as my heroic husband wrangled that snake were “Jesus, protect him. Keep him safe.” In his half asleep state it took him longer than either of us would have liked to take care of that slithering nightmare, but he got the job done.

Pinned Image
pinterest via Tumblr

Now I struggle every time I get near the garage, or have to go outside. I’m checking every dark corner and trying to fight the fear. Its hard. Those images are so fresh, and I am honestly still freaked out.

I wouldn’t say no to some prayers for peace…

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. Once you see one in a too familiar place- it takes forever for that place to feel safe again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got rid of the snake. I don't know what kind of snakes are in Texas. We had a garter snake in our garden last week. I took pics of it lol and we finally caught it but I think there is a longer one under the garage. I don't like them b/c I have little mischievousness chihuahua's and they get too close to it. I think the snake might bite them. I know how you feel b/c I am always looking for a snake now.

    Lisa
    ~hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had them around our porch because they are looking for some place cool and water. I woke up one morning and heard shots outside. My DH got a big one. No real comfort when it is early in the morning and hear shots out my window. Also, thinking of getting snake boots...Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally relate!!! I am abaolutely petrified of snakes. One slithered under my car as I was driving and I was freaked out for a week. They are bad news! So glad your husband was there to rescue you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man snakes are scary! I can't imagine having one near my house!! ahhh! Thanks for linking up girl:)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Seriously! They make my day :)