Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Diet Friendly Fried Green Tomatoes

 

For those of you who’ve been following me for a bit, you’ve probably noticed that I’ve been working on losing a few pounds. I joined weight watchers 8 weeks ago. Last week I picked up a couple WW cook books and did some meal planning.

iphone 4 020

One of the recipes I knew I HAD to try was the one for Fried Green Tomatoes. My hubby has asked for them a couple times, but I had no idea what or how… since I’ve never had them before.

Totally a fan now that I’ve tried them! And they’re super easy!

Here’s what you need:

1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. dried Thyme
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
pinch cayenne
3 large green tomatoes cut into 1/2 inch slices (I only had 2, so I saved the rest of the mix for next time)

iphone 4 043iphone 4 044

Mix together dry ingredients and transfer to a sheet of wax paper. Coat the tomatoes slices, one at a time in the cornmeal mixture, pressing so that it adheres.

iphone 4 046iphone 4 047

Spray large, heavy skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, in batches, and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Spray the pan between batches.

iphone 4 049iphone 4 050

Per serving: (3 tomato slices) 150 Cal,. 3g total fat, 2g Sat Fat, 0g Trans Fat, 9mg Chol, 318 mg Sod., 24g Carb, 6g sugar, 2g fib, 7g prot,

And they are ONLY 4 Weight Watchers Points!

 

Yup! I’m a fan ;)

2 comments:

  1. I love me some fried green tomatoes - a summer staple, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look amazing! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Seriously! They make my day :)