Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ruffle Clutch Tutorial

 

lovelylittleruffleclutchmainpic

What you’ll need:

Outer fabric, lining, batting, 2 sew on snaps, scissors, tread & sewing machine

From the outer fabric, lining, and batting - cut one main piece 12.5" x 14"

From the outer fabric, lining, and batting - cut one flap piece 9.5" x 5.5"

From the ruffle fabric – cut one piece 3.5” x 22” 

clutch 010clutch 013clutch 015

Layer the 9.5" x 5.5" fabrics. Using a round object (I used a can) as a template curve the edges of the 9.5" x 5.5" fabrics.

clutch 021clutch 023-001

Fold the ruffle fabric in half and iron flat. The on the longest stich on your sewing machine, straight stich with a 1/4 inch seam allowance (or use a ruffle foot if you have it). Pull one of the threads to ruffle the fabric.

clutch 016clutch 017clutch 025

Take the 9.5" x 5.5" Outer piece and pin the ruffles on top. Make sure that the ruffles are “facing in”. Layer the outer fabric and lining  right sides together and the ruffles together. Add the batting to the bottom. Sew all three layers together with a 1/4" seam allowance. Clip curves, turn right-side out and press.  Topstitch close to the edge. 

clutch 026clutch 031

clutch 032

Next add the snaps to the lining side of the flap. You can go through the open side to hid the stitching.

clutch 034clutch 036

Prepare your main pieces:

Layer the outer fabric on a piece of batting and fold in half, with outer fabric right-sides together.  Stitch on side edges with a 1/4" seam. Fold lining piece in half and sew side edges with a 1/4" seam, make sure you leave a 2" to 3” opening on one of the side edges to turn the clutch right side out later.

clutch 039clutch 042clutch 045clutch 047

Push out one of the corners and mark a 2.5" line across and sew on line.  Trim the corner off. Clip the corners off both of the outer and lining pieces.

clutch 051clutch 053

Attach flap to outer piece. Find the center of the flap and the main outer piece and pin together.  Sew a scant 1/4" from edge. Reinforce the edges by back stitching.

clutch 063clutch 062

Place the outer main piece inside of lining, right-sides together.  Stitch top edge with a 1/2" seam.

clutch 065clutch 074

Finish the bag by turning it right-side out through opening in lining.  Slip stitch the opening closed (or you can stitch it closed by machine) Put lining into main bag, push out corners, and press top-edge.  Topstitch close to top edge. And second part of snaps to the lower front part of the clutch to match the location on the flap.

clutch 076

And you’re done! Isn’t it pretty! :)

clutch 079

clutch 098

clutch 092

clutch 078

 

 

 

signature

26 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial! I have this fabric too--now I know what I can do with it!

    Shannon@SewSweetCottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer - I'm a Texan and a seam-STRESS too. Ilove finding bloggers who sew, sew we can swap ideas - thanks for linknig up at the Sleepy/Sassy Sunday Party! Nice to meet you!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so adorable! I love ruffles, and your fabric! I'd love for you to stop by and share at my party! : )

    http://www.cherishedbliss.com/2012/04/craft-and-tell_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is seriously cute! I love the fabric you choose too!! Adorable :)

    www.imprintalish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fabric choice! I am pinning this one to my "Sew It" board. Thanks for sharing on Cowgirl Up!
    :) Samantha @ Crafty Texas Girls

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bag, I love the ruffle! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very ingenious way to recycle old pillowcases!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very ingenious way to recycle old pillowcases!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a sweet little clutch and what a great tutorial! I also love the fabric you chose! I am a new follower!! Hope you have a great day!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I may be making one this weekend. Thanks for the great tutorial!

    Betsy @ 2nd Story Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! Thanks for sharing such a great tutorial :)

    I love if you'd come link it up at my party going on now :)

    http://www.salttree.net/2012/04/open-call-tuesdays-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO cute! I love that fabric too! I would love for you to share this (and any other creations) at Pin It and Win It Wednesday @ www.cheapcraftymama.com!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this! I love ruffles, and I have been thinking about making a clutch. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the fabric you chose. Simply gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linkin up girl! SO pretty! Your directions make it look so easy maybe I could even attempt it!? Eek! We shall see :) OR I can just have you make me one lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This clutch is fabulous - really love the fabric you chose! Ruffle sets it off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I ADORE that fabric. And the ruffle makes it so lovely! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! Would love for you to stop by and link up to the Pomp Party!

    http://jill-createcraftlove.blogspot.com/2012/04/pomp-party-15.html

    Jill @ Create.Craft.Love.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tutorial and fabulous clutch!! Thank you for sharing. I've made them before out of placemats, but the lining and ruffle on this one are too much!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is so cute!! I love it! I'm featuring you at The Little Giggler today. :) Stop by and grab a feature button! http://www.thelittlegiggler.com/2012/04/some-fabulous-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love this and can't wait to make it! just pinned it so I can soon! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Jennifer for linking up to our Saturday Showcase this past week! We are featuring your very cool project today on Feature Friday! We will be sharing your project on our Pinterest pages, Facebook pages and of course our Twitter sites! Here is your feature: http://bowdabrablog.com/2012/05/11/feature-friday-top-fashion-saturday-showcase-picks/

    Stop back over and link up more of your projects on the new Saturday Showcase! We are accepting all craft projects! We can't wait to see what you share!

    Susie at Bowdabra

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic! I actually did a Google search for 'ruffled clutch' and this came up first! I'm your newest follower. Hope you'll follow me back?

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a pretty clutch! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Seriously! They make my day :)