Saturday, February 4, 2012

Guest Post: Meig from Crafty Girl Squared

Hi everyone!! I'm Meig from Crafty Girl Squared! I also blog over at Global Odyssey, which is my personal blog.



First, I want to say a big congratulations to Jennifer and Mule on getting married!! I wish I could have been there to share in your day with you (and snap pictures!) but alas, my trip to Mexico is taking all my travel funds. But we will celebrate!!



[source]


Now that I've said that, speaking of Mexico, I want to share a little bit about my upcoming trip. Each year a group from my church goes to Tijuana and the surrounding areas to work with a group called Esperanza International to build houses. We spend a week in Mexico changing lives by giving a family a home. Last time that I went (in 2010), we were building homes for 4 families who lost their houses in a fire. Through Esperanza and the governmental grants, they were able to purchase land outside the city and we helped build their houses. This is a trip that is worth the work. We are side-by-side with the families who benefit from our hard work. We put up the walls they're soon to call home. We eat the luscious meals they prepare for us. We pray with them. We play with the children. We share their joys and woes. We are familia.



I've been trying to brush up my Spanish skills (a Spanish minor in college including 7 years of courses and 2 stints in Puerto Rico and the best I can do now is talk with a 2 year old!) so that I can communicate better when I go visit. I am, to put it mildly, excited about this trip. It's something I am looking forward to. It gives me perspective.



They live here:







(Yes, that is a GIANT trash dump. Check out the blog post here and read about my very special birthday that I spent in Mexico...)



And I live here:





That's a serious bit of perspective, huh? I'm so excited to go and share in this adventure again. Please feel free to follow along on my trip on my personal blog and when I return I'll be posting more detailed stories because I won't have my computer with me to type so I'll be phone blogging.



You can read all about my previous trip here. And you can read about this year's trip here.



The trip is organized by a group from my church and we work with an organization called Esperanza International while we're in Mexico. Check them out. They do great things. If you want to join us on our trip, please let me know. We always welcome additional travelers. :)




Thanks for sharing about your trip Meig! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!

1 comment:

  1. Traveling to Mexico for some R&R? Check out the Mayakoba Golf Classic. It’s a great way to spend the day watching the pros do what they do best and soaking up that glorious Mexican sunshine. Tickets are available for only $10! Join us! http://bit.ly/A4yaFv

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Seriously! They make my day :)